Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May 18, 2009 - A NOTE TO JUNIOR MEMBERS

I started last night's Stated Communications, with the following call to arms of our junior members. I don't know if it made an impression, but I hope so:

Last Monday, we dropped the "Hot" Gavel off at Star Lodge No. 78 in Largo and I want to thank those of you who participated.

While there, we sat in on an EA Degree where a junior officer sat in the East and, although he made a couple of mistakes, he did a fine job.

While I was sitting there, I realized how nice it was to sit on the sidelines and let someone else do the degree. And this reminded me that it is time for our younger members to step up to the plate and take a swing of the bat.

We are lucky in this Lodge that we have Brothers who know how to put on a degree, such as W:.Ken, W:.Bob, W:.Chris, and myself. And that we have Brothers like W:.Rome, R:.W:.Bill and our Lodge instructor who are always ready to offer advice and training.

BUT THE POINT IS, IT IS TIME FOR THE JUNIOR MEMBERS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE.

We have plenty of knowledge and experience in our senior members; a lot of wisdom.

BUT IT IS TIME FOR OUR YOUNGER MEMBERS TO STEP UP AND SAY "YES, I WANT TO TAKE A SHOT AT IT. I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE."

I think it's nice that we can still put on a good degree, but it cannot continue to be the same faces. We fell into this RUT back in the late 1990's and early part of this decade, where we were recycling Past Masters. It's nice that such men came forward and helped out, but the Lodge stagnated thereby causing considerable problems; WE SURELY CANNOT AFFORD TO LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN.

I have always preached that a good manager should operate in such as way as he does himself out of a job; that the department can carry on productively without him. This is what my hope and aim is here at Dunedin. This is not about "me," it's about the Lodge.

Years ago, Bro. Jack Benny was asked what his secret for success was as both his radio and TV shows always finished in the top ten year after year. He said simply, "It's not about me, it's about the show." He didn't want people to say the next day, "Did you see Jack Benny last night?" Instead, it was more important for people to say, "Did you catch the Benny show last night?" He realized it was a team effort, as do I in the Lodge; "It's not about me (Tim Bryce); It's about the Lodge (Dunedin)."

I THEREFORE CALL UPON OUR JUNIOR MEMBERS TO COME FORWARD, LEARN THE WORK, AND TAKE AN ACTIVE ROLE IN THIS LODGE'S FUTURE.

Our senior members will be more than happy to help you, but it must first begin with you saying, "Yes, I care; Yes, I want to take an active part in this Lodge's future."

The future is in your hands; You can make Dunedin Lodge whatever you want it to be. My year is half over, and now we must build for the future and my successors. We need 'A Few Good Men.'

If you want to make a difference, please contact our senior officers or myself whenever you're ready to make the commitment.

Thank you.

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

3 comments:

  1. Tim, it's news to me Jack Benny was a Mason. What Lodge was he in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waukegan Lodge No. 78 A.F.& A.M., Waukegan, IL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree. I am pleased to say that a lot of the junior officers in Gulf Beach Lodge have sat in the East for degree work - I have also participated by sitting in the east for all three degrees, being in the line for my second year. You gain a tremendous amount of experience by sitting in the East for degrees. I feel that it makes me a stronger mason, and it helps me especially with instructing. I encourage all the brothers to get some type of experience sitting in as many chairs as possible. There's nothing more rewarding than rapping the gavel after the end of a degree.

    Fraternally,
    Ismael Montes
    Gulf Beach Lodge No. 291
    Madeira Beach, FL

    ReplyDelete