Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February 9, 2009 - TEAMWORK & BONDING

Last night the Lodge held an Entered Apprentice degree for a new candidate. Everything seemed to go well. Our Secretary sat in the East and I sat as Junior Deacon. I could have done the degree myself but I think it is important to give others the opportunity to practice the work and improve our corps of officers. I am also encouraging our junior officers to learn the degrees. Sure, we have plenty of past masters who can do the work, but if the Lodge is going to progress, it's important that new people step up to the plate.

To my way of thinking, it's not about me (as Worshipful Master), it's about the overall Lodge. I learned this lesson years ago from Bro. Jack Benny, the famous comedian from Waukegan Lodge No. 78 A.F.& A.M. of Illinois. Bro. Benny always understood the importance of teamwork. It was his contention that it was the show that was of paramount importance, not him personally. In fact, Benny was often the butt of many of the jokes. But to him, it was more important that people said, "Did you catch the Benny show last night?" and not "Did you catch Jack Benny last night?" He often offered up generous accolades to his writers, his cast, and his guests. Keep in mind, the Benny program was always highly rated, both on the radio and on television. So I think Bro. Jack was on to something.

Following the degree, many of us went off the property, drank a few beers, and talked about the degree and upcoming events. This get-together was every bit as important as the actual degree itself. The Brothers were able to relax and discuss a lot of ideas for the Lodge. Beyond this, it improved camaraderie and is helping to establish an Esprit de corps among the Brethren. Yes, it is important for me to put in my two cents, but it also important that the Brethren feel their input is an important part of running the Lodge. One of the ideas that emerged from the meeting was some sort of Men's Retreat, whereby we take off for a weekend and do either a canoe trip or camp out. In my opinion, such events are important for Brotherly bonding.

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

No comments:

Post a Comment