Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19, 2009 - A DEATH IN THE FAMILY

Today I was notified of the passing of one of our Brothers, Bro. Warren Bundy, who had been in the hospital since December due to a strange lung problem. Evidently when he ate, the food would go into his lung. He underwent a procedure yesterday in the hospital to correct the problem, but unfortunately he couldn't survive it and he perished this morning. His widow called me to give me the details and she will be wanting a Masonic funeral service for Warren which my Lodge will perform.

This is a painful loss for me personally as I've known Warren for a number of years. We traveled to the Fort Clinch Civil War degrees (on Amelia Island, north of Jacksonville) on more than one occasion, and attended numerous Masonic degrees together. I was fortunate to have him as my Tyler when I was Master of Sutherland Lodge in 2003, and he was to be my Tyler here in Dunedin this year. Unfortunately, we were never able to get him installed due to his declining health.

Warren was an interesting fellow; he was a New York State Trooper, College Professor, and even coached baseball/softball for many years. When I visited him in the hospital recently and mentioned the Pistol Competition being proposed by the SunCoast Masters & Wardens Association, his ears perked up as he wanted to participate in it. He had a great sense of humor and up until a couple of years ago was an avid golfer and cigar smoker. The last time the Craft saw him was at my Festivus Party last December.

Prior to my becoming Master of Sutherland in 2003, I had lunch with three people whose opinion I greatly respected. My intent was to discuss ideas for the future of the Lodge. They were Alan Leverock, Sid Heller, and Warren Bundy. Alas, all three are now gone and I will greatly miss them, but will never forget their words of wisdom to me.

Dunedin Lodge is very fortunate to have a dedicated group of Brothers who can competently put on a Masonic funeral. We call it our Acacia Committee and they have put on numerous such degrees over the years. As far as I'm concerned, every Mason has an obligation to attend Masonic funeral if their cable-tow permits them. It is the very least we can do for our departed Brothers.

Warren was a good man and Mason, and I, for one, will miss him very much.

Alas, my Brother.

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for posting this, Warren Bundy was my grandfather. I wish I had been able to attend the service. It was nice to read your comments about him.

    ReplyDelete