Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 24, 2009 - TROUBLE

Last night I attended a Stated Communications of a Lodge in our district who is experiencing a serious problem. Last year's Secretary is charged with embezzling approximately $9,000 from the Lodge. This was discovered as part of the Lodge audit they recently performed (which is why I am a big proponent of Lodge audits being performed on a routine annual basis).

The trouble is, I know all of the parties involved and have known them to be good Masons. I am told the evidence against the Brother is overwhelming, but he maintains his innocence and contends this is all some sort of political payback. This is all very disturbing to me and I'm sure the rest of the Craft at that Lodge.

If the Brother is, in fact, guilty of the charges, I do not know how he could ever show his face in public again, particularly among Masons (I certainly would want nothing to do with him). If the charges are false, then the others are guilty of concocting a grand scheme to remove the Brother. Having known the accusers for a number of years, I cannot imagine them trumping up charges in this manner. As I said, it appears the evidence is overwhelming (although I have not personally seen it).

What bothers me is that I have known this Lodge for a long time, think highly of the members and would like to see this all go away so the Lodge can enjoy some harmony, but I'm afraid this is not to be. If the Brother is indeed guilty, I would hope that he would be man enough to fess up to it in Lodge, and return the money. In turn, I would hope that the Lodge would be lenient on his penalty. But like I said, in all likelihood this will not happen.

As a Worshipful Master I thank my lucky stars that we do not have such problems, and I think it is because we operate the Lodge very methodically whereby such a scenario could never happen.

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

No comments:

Post a Comment