Monday, January 5, 2009

January 5, 2009 - 1ST MEETING WITH OFFICERS

I held my first formal meeting with the new Lodge officers for the year. At this time, I covered the following
subjects as the first step in educating them:

  1. I reviewed the article I wrote,

    "So you want to be a Lodge officer, eh?"
    , specifically, I emphasized there is more to being a
    Lodge officer than putting on a white dinner jacket and marching around the Lodge room.
    I also emphasized the point that there is no such thing as an insignificant chair in the Lodge,
    that each chair carries important duties and responsibilities.

  2. I reviewed the Job Descriptions of each chair in terms of what is expected.

  3. I reviewed the Dress Code we would observe this year, which would be dress-up for degree work,
    and Lodge Polo shirts for Stated Communications and other affairs. Up until now, all Masonic
    functions had been dress-up affairs, which many Brothers have trouble with, particularly in
    the summer months when it gets particularly hot in Florida.

  4. As I wanted to stress the need to understand the Masonic world around us; as such, I want my officers
    to do the following:

    • Visit our neighboring Lodges as a group and observe how they do things.

    • Attend the local Masters & Wardens Association Meetings, thereby getting to know the other
      officers in our area.

    • Read the Trestleboard newsletters from the other Lodges. They may be boring, but every
      now and then you learn a new trick or two, or find out about some special event they have planned
      (which we might want to try ourselves). I asked the officers to read and initial each newsletter
      coming into the Lodge.

  5. I reviewed the standard operating procedures to be observed:

    • Keep Your Word - if you cannot do something, fine, but tell us up front.
      Do not volunteer for something you have no intention of performing.

    • Be on time - if you cannot make a meeting, let me know in advance so I can make other arrangements.

    • Challenge the Status Quo - be innovative and adapt.

    • Make the Lodge fun and interesting.

  6. I stressed the importance of performing 1st Class degree work. This included some
    "Floorwork 101" instruction, followed by a rehearsal.

My objective was to set the proper stage for the Lodge officers and let them know what is expected of them. Hopefully it will sink in.

Until next time...

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

No comments:

Post a Comment