Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 14, 2009 - COMMITTEES

I met with the Building Committee, Social Committee, and Acacia Committee to outline their activities for the coming year. As you may recall, we discussed the Finance Committee in my January 7th entry. The Building Committee oversees the modifications/improvements to our Lodge building, the Social Committee organizes social events, and the Acacia Committee handles Masonic funerals.

My overall philosophy on committees is to manage from the bottom-up. In other words, empower the committees, give them some direction and support, but otherwise stay out of their way and let them do their work. Whereas others like to micromanage everything, I believe adults are smart enough to supervise themselves. If they've got a problem I can help them with or if I can run interference for them, I'll be happy to do so, otherwise it is up to them to make things happen.

We started by reviewing the activities of the Acacia Committee which has been an important part of our Lodge for a number of years. In addition to performing Masonic funerals for Lodge members and sojourners, the group also performs a special ceremony on Memorial Day for the Lodge. We are fortunate to have this committee and Brothers dedicated to performing a first class service for our departed Brothers. As an aside, I have always believed that it is a Mason's duty to attend a Masonic funeral service if it is within the length of his cable-tow. A polished funeral service is very much appreciated by the departed Brother's family. The committee is planning a couple of rehearsals to review the service.

Nest, we discussed the activities of the Building Committee. Basically, I am looking to these Brothers to offer advice on how to improve the Lodge. I want them to develop a punch list of items to be addressed by the Lodge in priority sequence. I also want them to develop a monthly calendar outlining when certain things have to be cleaned and inspected. I also asked them to organized pertinent Work Parties when required whereby the Craft pitches in to clean or repair something. Following the meeting, we took a tour of the Lodge attic where various items are stored and need to be cleaned out.

Finally, we talked with the Social Committee. Basically, I am looking for one major social event per quarter. I told them to use their imaginations and come up with new ideas. I also made it clear there is a big difference between a social and a fund raiser, the two are most definitely not synonymous. I am open to suggestion on just about anything. There is one event I am going to organize myself, and that is a Masonic Scavenger Hunt which will be both educational and fun, and a good way for Brothers to enjoy some camaraderie.

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

2 comments:

  1. Great idea starter in this post - our lodge does not have a Social Committee - I think fun activities might be a fine idea in lodge - they work well in Scottish Rite. Would love to hear more about the Masonic Treasure Hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Jon -

    I layout the details as we get closer to the event in March, but basically I am going to leave clues around town which happen to have relevance to our Lodge and the fraternity overall. I'll break them into teams and send them on their way. Should be interesting.

    All the Best,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete