Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January 13, 2009 - SICKNESS & DISTRESS

After work today I went to a nearby hospital to check on two Brothers recuperating there. One was recovering from an acute case of pneumonia and another had an operation earlier in the day to replace a hip. Both are expected to recover but will undoubtedly require weeks of rehab. I believe both Brothers were pleasantly surprised to see me and enjoyed the visit.

Years ago, before I became a Worshipful Master the first time, I learned a valuable lesson from another Past Master who taught me the importance of looking after your Lodge's sickness and distressed. I have found this to be excellent advice and greatly appreciated by the Craft. Whether it is a visit to a hospital bed, a telephone call, or a simple get well card, the Brothers greatly appreciate knowing that another Mason is thinking about them and, because of this, it can help lift their spirits. It is truly remarkable what a kind word and a handshake can do for people. A little Brotherly consideration can go a long way. Not only is it appreciated by the Brother, but by his family as well.

I have a favorite story that exemplifies Masonic brotherhood in this regard. Years ago, one of our older Brothers fell ill due to cancer (as an aside, he was one of the Brothers who served on my investigation committee when I originally petitioned to join the Craft). He had fought cancer before, but now he was losing his battle and had just a few days to live. As one of his last requests, he wanted to enjoy a glass of wine, but his relatives wouldn't let him due to their religious beliefs (they were Baptists). Nonetheless, the dying Brother was adamant in his desire for a drink. Consequently, a Brother smuggled a bottle of wine into the hospital for him, which was greatly appreciated. I guess the Brother providing the wine couldn't find it in his heart to say "No" to another Brother particularly when there was little time remaining.

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! To often we forget about the brothers that are sick and distressed, and far to often the family members forget to inform us.
    I really enjoyed the part about the wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it my Brother. As I said, this was a valuable lesson I learned from another PM years ago.

    All the Best,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete