Monday, December 29, 2008

December 29, 2008 - INSTALLATION REHEARSAL

Last Saturday we conducted a rehearsal for the upcoming Installation of Lodge officers scheduled for this coming Saturday, January 3rd at 1:00pm. This will be open to the public. The rehearsal went off fine and we have everything ready for the ceremony, including programs, a copy of our Bylaws, the Digest (Florida governing docs), working tools, and the Holy Bible. I even had the officers try on their aprons so they fit properly (nothing more embarrassing than an apron that doesn't fit while putting it on during the installation - I have even seen some Brothers deliberately open up the belts prior to the installation as a gag).

Normally, we have Past Masters from the Lodge preside over the ceremony, but I wanted to do something slightly different. It will, of course, follow the ceremony as prescribed by our Grand Lodge, but I assembled a different team of officers for the installation:

W:.Jarvis Woods, PM will be the presiding officer. W:.Woods succeeded me as Worshipful Master at Sutherland Lodge No. 174 in Palm Harbor and he did a wonderful job. He has been a Mason for over 40 years and we have developed a strong kinship as a result of the fraternity. I have valued his advice and friendship for years. In fact, he taught me my first lesson about being a Lodge officer (although I'm sure he has probably forgotten telling it to me); it was simply that "every chair in the Lodge is an important responsibility." Very true. Bro. Jarvis is originally from Virginia and has a smooth southern voice with a touch of southern aristocracy in it. Plus, he knows what good pork barbecue is all about!

Our Marshall will be R:.H:.Ed Street, PM, PDI (for those of you outside of Florida, R:.H:. means "Right Honorable" to denote a Past District Instructor; this is a new title enacted by our Grand Lodge just a couple of years ago). Bro. Ed is one of the hardest working Masons in our area. He doesn't think twice about helping a Lodge or a Brother with either a degree, a lecture, or whatever. Because of his hard work, Dunedin Lodge recognized him by making him an Honorary Member of our Lodge as a small token of thanks for all of his efforts. I am lucky to secure his services.

And finally, my Installing Chaplain will be R:.W:.Ed Phero, PM, PDI, PDDGM from nearby Clearwater Lodge No. 127 F.& A.M. I have been fortunate to know Bro. Ed for a long time now. He was District Deputy when I became a Mason and I have enjoyed his humor and advice ever since. I have always know R:.W:.Ed as a man of integrity. A Mason's Mason. This has not gone unnoticed by our Lodge either as we voted him an Honorary member of our Lodge last year.

I selected these three Brothers because I have developed a bond with them over the years while traveling throughout the area. This is not a slight against any Past Master from Dunedin (who customarily installs our officers), but I do hope to accent the need for expanding our vision and to think of Freemasonry as a bigger concept than just the four walls of our Lodge room.

In addition, I have secured the services of Bro. Steve Andrews who will be our bagpiper for the start of our ceremonies. This has become an important tradition at Dunedin Lodge, particularly to the many Scots in our area (including yours truly). I've asked him to pipe us in with "Scotland the Brave" (what else?).

Following the installation service, a reception will be held immediately afterwards at my offices which are just a couple of miles from the Lodge.

Aside from all this, I've closed the Secretary's books for 2008 and have everything ready to turn over to my successor, W:.Bob Matheson, PM. We've cleaned up the office and have it ready for a new Masonic year. Should be fun.

Until next time...

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

1 comment:

  1. Tim -
    Best of luck!
    I enjoy your reality based look at the Fraternity - not all esoterica.
    I too am in it for my second time aound - first time was TWENTY years ago! beginning as SW this year and Master on 2010.
    Anyway - I've recently started up my own blog doing the same thing - documenting my second journey to the East - OhBrotherpm.blogspot.com Stop by sometime!

    ReplyDelete