Thursday, December 11, 2008

December 11, 2008 - PREPPING FOR THE NEW YEAR

I went to Lodge last night to tend to paperwork. As I am the outgoing Secretary, I want to leave a clean desk for my successor. Among the things I did was to suspend ten Brothers for nonpayment of dues (as we voted on at our last Stated Communications of the year). I understand that people might lose interest in the fraternity, but I cannot understand why they would want to make their exit simply by not paying their dues. This, of course, is a blemish on their records and doesn't help their cause should they ever want to be reinstated. Instead, they should take a Dimit and be a Mason without a Lodge. This looks better on their record.

I also distributed a press release to the local papers regarding the charity work we have been involved with at Dunedin Elementary. This year we have devised a "Bikes for Books" program to encourage student reading. This was an idea based on similar programs implemented by Masonic Lodges in the western United States. To my knowledge, we are the first Lodge in Florida to implement such a program. Hopefully, the press release will generate some good public relations for the Lodge.

In preparation for the next Masonic year, I also did the following:

A. Prepared the name badges for the officers and sent it into a local company who manufactures such items.

B. Wrote my installation speech. Although I tried to be brief, I exhort Masons to be different; to think differently; to act differently; that the "status quo" simply won't hack it any longer. I'll post the speech here after the installation.

C. Firmed up plans for a "Snowbird Night" to be held Monday, February 16, 2009, at Dunedin Lodge beginning at 7:00pm. The purpose of Snowbird Night is to welcome our northern Brothers who have migrated to our area during winter. We will be holding a dinner at 6:00pm prior to the meeting. As to dress code, suit and tie is recommended, but "business casual" is acceptable (sorry, no T-shirts, shorts, jeans, or flip-flops).

I sent notices on this event throughout the Internet, including Guest Books and Discussion Groups in northern jurisdictions.

That's all for today.

Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http://www.dunedin192.org/
"For the Good of the Order"

1 comment:

  1. There's a very easy answer to your question about dues, Tim.

    Admittedly, there are exceptions, but they get suspended because they don't care. They have no interest, they're not coming back and a "clean record" is meaningless and makes no difference to them.

    Justa

    ReplyDelete