Wednesday, December 17, 2008

December 17, 2008 - 1ST SETBACK

I had my first minor setback today. I received a letter from my appointee for Junior Steward that he would be unable to serve in 2009. Fortunately, he bowed out before the installation of officers scheduled for January 3rd. I was able to find a fine young Brother to replace him and made all of the necessary changes to our records.

I guess what disturbs me though is the first candidate really bent my ear saying he wanted to get into line. Although he didn't attend Lodge frequently, he was quite adamant about serving as an officer. It's not often you have someone banging down your door to serve a position so I saw no problem in appointing him. In hindsight, it was the wrong decision. I should have selected the person who demonstrates his commitment to the Lodge, not just someone who bends my ear.

Interestingly, I should have learned this lesson last year as we had another Steward who adamantly wanted to get into a chair, was installed, and we never saw him again.

Don't get me wrong, both Brothers are nice guys, but I guess the lesson here is that "ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS."

3 comments:

  1. Are Stewards considered "line officers" in your lodge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    I imagine that it seems that this chap was eager to serve the lodge - thus, it was natural to consider appointing him.

    It seems equally natural that his determination to hold office would suggest that his commitment to the lodge would be more frequent. It's a shame that both of these brothers have let the lodge down - hopefully the brother you have appointed will prove to be a good officer!

    Anthony Williams
    Rough Ashlar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother Tim,

    we too have the phenomena of Officers being absent from lodge meetings. Although it is understandable that people sometimes are away - but as far as my personal opinion goes - it should be common courtesy to get a replacement during your absence.

    Too many times it is the Master of Ceremonies that is anxiously looking for suitable Masons in the beginnig of meeting to fill all positions.

    As you're outgoing Secretary, I am my Lodge's newly appointed one. The first position during my Masonic travel. It will be very interesting.

    All the best to you and all Bretheren who read your blogs!

    Greetings from Finland,

    Timo Kettunen
    Curia #74, Helsinki

    ReplyDelete