Monday, December 15, 2008

December 15, 2008 - FESTIVUS

My wife and I held a "Festivus" party this past Saturday, the purpose of which was to have a year-end holiday party. The name "Festivus" comes from TV's "Seinfeld", a nutty non-denominational holiday. I figured there were enough Christmas/Holiday parties going on, so I wanted something different (go figure).

Nonetheless, I invited friends, neighbors, and as many Masons from my Lodge as I knew. The party ran from 6:30pm, and the last group of people left about 1:00am. I had an open bar for libations, plenty of food, some games of chance for charity (a 50/50), holiday music, and of course the aluminum "Festivus" pole. Everyone had a great time. Alcohol was present, but nobody seemed to go away intoxicated. Yes, we gambled, but nobody seemed offended, especially since it benefited Masonic charity. In other words, all of the vices Masonic lodges seem to worry about never surfaced and it made a great social. To this day, I still do not understand the hangups Masons have with having a good time (but I'm sure there are some Masonic fuddy-duddies out there who could probably show me where it says in our governing docs that fun is not allowed).

In the end, it was a great party. Everybody kicked back, relaxed, shared some laughs and simply enjoyed each other's company. "Another Festivus Miracle!"

No comments:

Post a Comment