Wednesday, August 26, 2009

August 26, 2009 - LODGE NEWSLETTERS

Last night I helped put labels on our "Trestleboard" newsletters which was then mailed out to the Craft using bulk rate. For this issue we sent out 233 pieces of mail. Frankly, I wish we could slash this number in half as most people today should be receiving it via e-mail (we produce the publication in both a PDF format and web version on our site). The US Post Office keeps changing the rules and regulations for bulk mail. Frankly, I think they would like to see it eliminated altogether. Nonetheless, we still have older members without access to a computer and rely on the paper version.

Some time ago, I wrote an article on how to produce a newsletter; click HERE. Basically, my message was simple: keep it informative, keep it upbeat, and always talk about the future, not the past. What is done, is done; talk about what's coming next. Most of the Masonic newsletters I read are about as interesting as watching grass grow and make for useful bird cage liners. If you are saying the same thing over and over again, why are you knocking yourself out trying to get something published that nobody is going to read? Keep it positive, and keep moving forward (not backward).

Something else, we publish a newsletter every other month which, I believe, is a suitable number of times to communicate to the Craft. I'm amazed by those Lodges who publish a monthly publication. In most of them you will find a lot of "filler"; e.g., a listing of past masters, some obscure Masonic story, etc. I'm not saying monthly newsletters are without merit, but I challenge you to do a little soul-searching and ask if this truly makes dollars and sense.

To download a copy of our latest newsletter, click HERE.

Stay tuned!
Until next time.
All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

No comments:

Post a Comment