Thursday, August 13, 2009

August 13, 2009 - PREPARATIONS

Even though the Lodge is dark for the summer, I have been busy making preparations for the remainder of the program year.

1. Last Wednesday we completed the Lodge Officers Training Program, a course offered by the Grand Lodge of Florida. Most of my junior officers attended the program which we held on the last four Wednesday nights. Although I can't say I was impressed by the content of the program (it needs to be upgraded considerably), it was good to get my junior officers thinking and discussing pertinent issues regarding how to run a Lodge. Most of the questions were true-false or multiple choice. I wish we had more problem solving exercises instead. Nonetheless, we got through it.

2. This Saturday I am scheduled to give the closing to the Zone 6 Wardens Workshop at the Masonic Home in St. Petersburg. I think this will be my fifth time for such a presentation. The workshop is intended to train junior officers aspiring to go to the East and is an all day session. My job is to let the attendees know where they can find supplemental documentation on Masonic subjects (most of which is on the Internet). I will also exhort the attendees to simply "try." I will remind them that they will inevitably make mistakes along the way, but they should never be afraid to try new things. They might not bat 1.000 all the time (they will undoubtedly strike out a few times), but they should go down swinging the bat as hard as possible. Every once and awhile they will hit one out of the park which will make it all worthwhile. But to do nothing, for fear of change, is to stagnate and watch the Lodge die. This would, of course, be criminal.

3. Lastly, we finalized our plans for next Monday's "100 Master Masons" night. The officers are all pulling together on this and pitching in. I have prepared checklists and programs, distributed agendas, and am worrying about a lot of detail. My main concern is to make this a fun and memorable evening. I refuse to let this be a boring meeting. Next week I'll report on the results. As of this moment though, we have 126 Master Masons registered for the event, but I think we may hit 140 before we're done. Fortunately, our Lodge Room can hold about 160. I will be curious to see what we end up with.

Stay tuned!

Until next time.

All the Best,
Tim Bryce, PM, MPS, MMBBFMN
timb001@phmainstreet.com
Dunedin Lodge No. 192 F.& A.M.
http:/www.dunedin192.org/
Dunedin, FL, USA
"For the Good of the Order"

No comments:

Post a Comment